Our friend and chiropractor Abby Blackburn has offered some great tips to keep your body and joints healthy through the summer months. Read her tips and take advantage of her Summer Special!
Summer is a glorious time filled with longer days and warmer temperatures. Here are 5 simple tips to ensure your summer is a healthy enjoyable experience!
1. Stay hydrated. A good goal is to drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water daily. I like to carry a fun reusable water bottle to increase my consumption and I really love to add a slice of fresh fruit because it makes it feel a little fancy! Try frozen berries or an orange slice and enjoy a tasty treat!
2. Replace electrolytes. Avoid Gatorade, Powerade or any beverage that is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, sucralose or aspartame. Try drinking more natural options like coconut water, Nuun electrolyte tablets, Trace Mineral Power Paks or just eat watermelon! If you’re experiencing cramping or getting Charley Horses this is a good indicator that your body is deficient in salt and electrolytes. Cramping, feeling lightheaded, experiencing nausea or dizziness or being unable to sweat are signs of heat stroke. Take frequent breaks when working or playing in the sun and add back those electrolytes you lose from regular exercise and sweating.
3. Pamper your joints. Get adjusted, exercise regularly and add a few vitamin supplements to your routine. A Chiropractic adjustment realigns the spine, removes interference from the nervous system and helps prevent degeneration. Exercise helps build core muscle strength which is tremendously important for maintaining proper spinal alignment. Vitamin supplements are a great way to boost the health of your tissues. Glucosamine Sulfate and Omega 3 fatty acids are two supplements I recommend the most for joint health. They are both anti-inflammatory supplements that work to increase healing, decrease pain and prevent the breakdown of joint tissues. Research has even shown Glucosamine Sulfate can help rebuild healthy cartilage and help maintain lubricating joint fluid.
4. Go light on the alcohol. Summer is a great time to skip the alcohol and reach for a refreshing hydrating beverage instead. Swap an alcoholic beverage for a sparkling soda and avoid the artificial sweeteners. Alternate each alcoholic drink with a large glass of water. Try to stop any alcohol consumption 3 hours before bedtime.
5. Rest well. Sleep plays a huge role in maintaining health! 7-8 hours of sleep each night is recommended for adults. If you're waking regularly feeling tired or fatigued, that’s a good indication you can benefit from more rest. If falling asleep or staying asleep is challenging, find a holistic practitioner that can help address potential cortisol imbalances or poor adrenal health. Regular exercise is very beneficial for good sleep but make sure you aren't working out too late in the day, which can be stimulating. Limit screen time and television an hour or two before bedtime. Try soaking in a warm bath, reading a book or meditating to relax.
There they are! 5 Quick Tips to keep you healthy this summer. I hope you’ve enjoyed them and I am always available to visit if you have any health concerns or questions. Wishing you all a very healthy, happy summer!
Dr. Abby Blackburn is the owner of Blackburn Chiropractic & Wellness Center, located inside of People’s Pharmacy in central Austin. Blackburn Chiropractic has been happily serving the families of Austin since February of 2009. The center specializes in many different gentle and traditional chiropractic techniques for injury prevention, rehabilitation, core spinal stabilization, nutritional counseling and general wellness.
Abby Blackburn, D.C.